Public Health Critical Race Praxis Institute, February 17-19, 2014
Registration is closed.
The Maryland Center for Health Equity (M-CHE) at the University of Maryland is pleased to offer our inaugural Public Health Critical Race Praxis (PHCRP) Institute February 17-19, 2014, to be held at the University of Maryland College Park.
Applications Due: November 15, 2013 (Registration is closed).
Notification of selected scholars: December 13, 2013 .
- What is the PHCRP Institute?
In 2010, Chandra Ford and Collins Airhihenbuwa urged the field of public health toward new ground in their “Critical Race Theory, Race Equity, and Public Health: Toward Antiracism Praxis” published in the American Journal of Public Health. The PHCRP Institute PHCRPI) is a firm step onto that new ground for scholars and researchers interested in using the principles of Critical Race Praxis in their work. The primary foci of the PHCRI will include:
- The fundamentals of Critical Race Theory (CRT)
- The fundamentals of Public Health Critical Race Praxis (PHCRP)
- Application of PHCRP to ongoing or proposed empirical research
- Dissemination of findings from PHCRP Research
- The institute will include a combination of didactic and interactive components including small group work and a cultural experience that encourages the exploration of race and racism in contemporary America. PHCRPI core faculty will include Chandra Ford (University of California Los Angeles), Collins Airhihenbuwa (Pennsylvania State University), and the faculty team from the Maryland Center for Health Equity (University of Maryland) including James Butler, Craig Fryer, Mary Garza, Sandra Crouse Quinn and Stephen Thomas.
Flyers for distribution:
Download document (PDF)